Univesity : University of Winchester

Our mission:
'To educate, to advance knowledge and to serve the common good'

Our values:
We value freedom, justice, truth, human rights and collective effort for the common good. The plans and actions of the University of Winchester are founded in these ideals together with the following values:


Conscious of the kinship that exists between all life, we seek to nurture compassion for people, animals and the planet.


Permeability, agility and imagination are central to our thinking: we endeavour to act as a crucible for the generation and exchange of knowledge.

The University of Winchester is located in Winchester one of the most beautiful cathedral cities in the UK.

Visa Information:

Most International students from non-European Union countries will require a Tier 4 student visa to study with us. Students who are visiting for a short course (exchange, short term English Language) may be eligible to apply for a student visitor visa. Please see the information at the bottom of this page for more information or check with us first to establish which visa is the most appropriate for you.

To get in touch with any questions you may have on visa's then please contact us using the details at the bottom of the page.

The UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) provides useful, up to date information and guidance on applying for your visa. Please have a look at their information pages at -


To apply for a Tier 4 visa you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement. The University can issue this to you once you have paid your deposit or shown us a letter of financial guarantee (e.g if you are being sponsored to study your course). You must also have an unconditional offer from us and have sent us all the documents we have asked for (passport etc).

When your offer is unconditional and you have paid your deposit we can issue you with a CAS request form (click here to download). Once completed you should return this to us and providing we are happy with the information you have provided we can issue you with a CAS in an email format.

You can then apply for your visa through the UK Visas and Immigration website up to 3 months before the start of your programme. For advice on what information to provide and which documents to include in your application then please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website below. If you have any questions or are not sure which visa to apply for or what to include we will be happy to help you.


There are a number of useful links below to help you with preparing for your visa application:



When preparing bank statements to send off for your visa application (if applicable to you) then the UKVI have a list of banks that are acceptable to use: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-p-lists-of-financial-institutions

The visa processing times vary in each country so please check the UK Visas and Immigration website for up to date timings. We recommend that you apply for your visa as soon as possible so that it can be secured in good time. The link below can provide an idea of how long your visa may take to be processed once submitted to the UKVI.


Whilst we try to ensure the accuracy of the information and advise given, the requirements relating to visas are complex and change frequently.

The University of Winchester cannot therefore accept responsibility for any inaccuracy or error in its information or advice.

Do I need a visa?
EU/EEA nationals

European Economic Area (European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) nationals do not need a visa (entry clearance) to study in the UK.

American students

If you are coming to study in the UK for less than six months, you may enter as a Student Visitor. You can make this Student Visitor visa application on arrival at a UK airport by showing your acceptance letter, You will also have to provide evidence that you can support yourself financially for the duration of your time here. Please make it clear to the Immigration Officer that you are going to be studying in the UK, and check that either 'VST' for 'Visiting student' or 'STS' for 'Short-term Student' has been hand-written on your entry clearance stamp.

Student Visitor visa holders are prohibited from working for the duration of their time here, and their visas can neither be extended nor switched to other visa categories. If you are likely to want any of these opportunities, or are coming to study in the UK for more than six months, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa before coming to the UK.

Please note that General Visitors are not permitted to study.

Non-EU/EEA nationals

All non-EU/EEA nationals do need a visa (entry clearance) to come to study in the UK if staying longer than six months. All non-EU/EEA national students MUST obtain entry clearance (a visa) before travelling to the UK. The type of visa you need may depend on the programme you are on. Students who are studying degree-level programmes will usually need a Tier 4 (General) student visa, unless they are on another visa category such as 'Dependant'. However, language students and students who do not meet the UK Visas and Immigration's minimum English language requirements for the degree level programme they wish to attend may have to apply for a Student Visitor visa for up to 11 months.

The Immigration Authorities will not let you enter the UK if you do not have entry clearance (a visa). It is essential to check the UKVI website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration for new information on entry clearance and visas before you travel to the UK.

It is also advisable to use the UKCISA website for more information on applying for a visa: www.ukcisa.org.uk

Our Guarantee:

At the University of Winchester we realise that where you live is an important factor in deciding where to study. Our aim is to help you through the process of securing good quality housing for the duration of your course, by offering University managed accommodation and providing information and advice on accommodation with us and in the Winchester community.

All information contained on this page relates to students applying to the University for the 2017-18 academic year.

UK and EU fee paying full-time first year undergraduate students

We guarantee a room in University Managed Accommodation (this includes our entire portfolio of both on and off site accommodation)) to first year full-time undergraduates whose housing application is received by Student Housing Services by 31 May 2017. Students must have selected Winchester as their firm first choice University via UCAS in order to apply. Our guarantee of accommodation is for a room and not a specific type of room.

Insurance offer and clearing full-time first year undergraduate students

We run a Housing Waiting List for any full time first year applicants who go firm with the University after the Housing guarantee deadline date, and will always endeavour to offer University Managed accommodation to these students. Whilst accommodation cannot be guaranteed, it may be possible to arrange alternative or additional accommodation and we will also provide information and advice to help you secure accommodation in the Private Sector.

International fee paying (non-EU countries) full-time students

We guarantee a room in University Managed accommodation to full-time International (non-EU) students for their first year of study, provided they hold Winchester as their firm first choice University and apply for accommodation by 31st August 2017.

Accommodation may also be available for International students beyond their first year of study subject to availability. Student can reapply for accommodation in each subsequent year by the deadlines published at: www.winchester.ac.uk/housing.

Channel Islands students

We guarantee a room in University Managed accommodation to full-time Channel Islands students for their first year of study, provided they hold Winchester as their firm first choice University and apply for accommodation by 31st May 2017.

Accommodation may also be available for Channel Islands students beyond their first year of study, subject to availability and students reapplying for accommodation in each subsequent year by the deadlines published at: www.winchester.ac.uk/housing..

Postgraduate students

There will be a proportion of accommodation available for postgraduate students. Rooms are allocated on a first applied, first allocated basis. We aim to house postgraduate students together in mature areas (over 24yrs) however this is dependent on the number of applications and accommodation areas available.
Please take note of our Allocation policy in relation to the possibility of being housed amongst Undergraduate students and also our Private Sector housing advice.

Part-time students

We’re sorry that we can’t accommodate Part-time students. You will need to secure accommodation in the Private Sector and Student Housing Services will be pleased to provide information and advice to assist you.

Please see the off campus information tab to the left of this page.

Students with Additional Requirements

We endeavour to provide students with disabilities or a severe medical condition, who provide evidence of medical needs, accommodation (subject to availability of suitable rooms) for the duration of their course. Applications must be received by 31st May in their year of entry and then in each subsequent year by the deadlines published on this web page.

For those with multiple or complex needs, we strongly recommend that you contact the Disabilities and Learning Diversity Team​, (+44 (0) 1962 827341) in Student Services and Student Housing Services as early as possible to have a discussion about your needs.

We will do our best to accommodate late applications but cannot guarantee a room or a particular type of room where applications are made after the deadline date. Please contact us with as much information as possible about your needs and we will discuss your situation with you.

If you are unsure if you are covered by this category, please contact Student Housing Services.

Couples and students with families

There are a small number of one and two bedroom flats on campus within our vibrant student villages. We will normally allocate to families first over couples applying a level of needs based assessment to applications alongside our first applied first allocated policy and the availability of a suitable flat.

Specialization : Undergraduate / Bachelor

• Department Of archaeology and anthropology
• Ancient, Classical and Medieval Studies
• Anthropology
• Archaeological Practice,BSc (Hons)
• Archaeological Practice with Professional Placement,BSc (Hons)
• Classical Studies,BA (Hons)
• Department of English , creative writing and American studies .
• American Studies and History with options to Study Abroad,BA (Hons)
• American Studies and Politics with options to Study Abroad,BA (Hons)
• American Studies with options to Study Abroad,BA (Hons)
• Creative and Professional Writing
• ,Creative Writing and Drama,BA (Hons)
• Creative Writing and English Language Studies,BA (Hons)
• Creative Writing and English Literature,BA (Hons)
• Creative Writing,BA (Hons)
• English Language Studies,BA (Hons)
• English Linguistics (with optional sandwich year),BSc (Hons)
• English Linguistics with Forensic Linguistics (with optional sandwich year),BSc (Hons)
• English Literature and Film,BA (Hons)
• English Literature and History,BA (Hons)
• English Literature,BA (Hons)
• English Literature with Creative Writing,BA (Hons)
• English Literature with English Language,BA (Hons)
• English with American Literature,BA (Hons)
• Department of international professional studies
• Childhood Youth and Community Studies,BA (Hons
• Health, Community and Social Care Studies,
• Social Work,BSc (Hons)
• Department of politics and society
• Animal Welfare and Society,BA (Hons)
• Global History and Politics,BA (Hons)
• Philosophy, Politics and Economics,BA (Hons)
• Politics and Global Studies,BA (Hons)
• Sociology,BA (Hons)
• School of media and film
• Broadcast Television and Media Production,BA (Hons)
• Creative Screen Production,BA (Hons)
• Film and American Studies,BA (Hons)

• Film Studies and Production,BA (Hons)
• Film Production,BA (Hons)
• Film Studies and Screenwriting,BA (Hons)
• Film Studies,BA (Hons)
• Journalism,BA (Hons)
• Media and Audio Communication,BA (Hons)
• Media and Communication,BA (Hons)
• Media, Communication and Advertising,BA (Hons)
• Media, Communication and Journalism,BA (Hons)
• Media, Communication and Social Media,BA (Hons)
• Music and Sound Production,BA (Hons)
• Winchester business School
• Accounting and Finance,BA (Hons)
• Accounting and Finance,MAcc (Hons)
• Accounting and Finance,MSc
• Accounting and Management,BA (Hons)
• Accounting and Management,MAcc (Hons)
• Business Management (top up),BA (Hons)
• Business Management and Leadership,BA (Hons)
• Business Management,BA (Hons)
• Business Management for Information Technology,BA (Hons)
• Business Management for Information Technology,FdA
• Business Management with Enterprise and Innovation,BA (Hons)

• Digital Media Design,BA (Hons)
• Digital Media Development,BSc (Hons)
• Economics and Finance,BSc (Hons)
• Economics,BSc (Hons)
• Event Management,BA (Hons)
• Fashion Marketing and Media,BA (Hons)
• Marketing,BA (Hons)
• Mathematics and Finance,BSc (Hons)
• Mathematics,BSc (Hons)
• Department of per forming arts
• Choreography and Dance,BA (Hons)
• Comedy: Performance and Production,BA (Hons). Drama and English Literature,BA (Hons)
• Drama and Performing Arts,BA (Hons)
• Drama,BA (Hons)
• Drama with Creative Writing,BA (Hons)

o Musical Theatre,BA (Hons)
o Performing Arts,BA (Hons)
o Theatre for Children and Young People,BA (Hons)
o Theatre Production (Arts and Stage Management),BA (Hons
o Department of applied social sciences
o Criminology,BA (Hons)
o Criminology and Sociology,BA (Hons)
o Forensic Studies,BA (Hons)
o Geography,BSc (Hons)
o Department Of education studies and liberal arts
• Education Studies (Early Childhood),BA (Hons)
• Education Studies (Special and Inclusive Education),BA (Hons)
• Education Studies and Drama,BA (Hons)
• Education Studies and English Literature,BA (Hons)
• Education Studies and History,BA (Hons)
• Education Studies,BA (Hons)
• Education, Youth and Community Studies,BA (Hons)
o Modern Liberal Arts (Philosophy),BA (Hons)
o Department of a history
• History and Archaeology,BA (Hons)
• History and the Medieval World,BA (Hons)
• History and the Modern World,BA (Hons)
• History,BA (Hons)
o Department of low
o Law and Business Management,BA (Hons)
o Law,LLB (Hons)
o Department of theology religion and philosophy
o Philosophy, Religion and Ethics,BA (Hons)
o Theology, Religion and Ethics,BA (Hons)
o Department of sport and exercise
• Sport and Exercise Psychology,MSc
• Sport and Exercise Science,BSc (Hons)
• Sport Psychology and Coaching,BSc (Hons)
• Sports Business and Marketing,BA (Hons)
• Sports Coaching,BSc (Hons)
• Sports Studies,BA (Hons)
• Strength, Conditioning and Fitness,BSc (Hons)
o Department of teacher development
• Primary Education with Recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (3 years),BEd (Hons)
• Primary Education with Recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (4 years),BEd (Hons)
• Primary Education with Recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (4 years),MEd (Hons)
o Department of psychology
• Psychological Science,BSc (Hons)
• Psychology and Child Development,BSc (Hons)
• Psychology and Cognition,BSc (Hons)
• Psychology and Criminology,BA (Hons)
• Psychology,BSc (Hons)
o Social Psychology,BSc (Hons)